Let’s face it, nobody is the same. So why do we treat our feet as if they are?
We’ve all, at some point, donned a pair of ill-fitting shoes and been subjected to a few hours of agony before they are “worn in”. Can we avoid this?
Keep reading to find out whether wide fit shoes are the answer to all your troubles.
What are wide fit shoes?
Although sometimes, there are sizing discrepancies between different footwear brands, most people will know that they can order a pair of shoes in a certain size and the chances are they will fit perfectly.
However, this isn’t always the case for everybody. A lot of people will find that standard sizes are simply not wide enough for their feet.
Wide fit shoes incorporate a wider tread on the sole of the shoes and the toe box is deeper than standard-width shoes.
Saying “Why?” to wide fit shoes
It’s quite self-explanatory if you have wide feet, wide fit shoes are most likely going to be the solution to the problem.
Wearing footwear that fit poorly is a really, really bad idea.
- Avoid pesky blisters and corns – Wearing shoes that are too tight often results in your shoes beginning to rub, due to the increased friction, which can, unfortunately, lead to blisters and corns developing. They are both visually unappealing and can be extremely painful. Wearing wide fit shoes will ultimately reduce the friction and relieve the pain you are experiencing. Click here for more information on preventing and treating blisters.
- Hammertoe alert! – Shoes that are restrictive in the toe box area can lead to hammertoes, potentially causing a permanent deformity. Wearing a shoe with a wider toe box area will allow the toes to have more room to establish a natural shape, preventing any damage.
- Help prevent bunions – While there is an ongoing debate about bunions being mainly hereditary, wearing tight shoes will ultimately accelerate the onset of these conditions. Wearing wide fit shoes allows your feet to spread and therefore give your feet the best chance of avoiding bunions.
How do I know if I need wide fit shoes?
Are you struggling to fit your feet in your shoes? Finding shoes that properly fit your feet is a tricky business, however, there are a few ways you can give your feet the best chance of achieving complete comfort.
- Don’t rely on the stretch – If the shoe is initially too tight for you, don’t expect them to stretch to fit your feet. Try on a different size!
- These shoes are made for walking – Take your shoes for a test run around the room, flex your feet often. If you find the shoe is causing any discomfort (i.e. rubbing), chances are they aren’t the perfect fit for you.
- Keep your eye on the ball – Make sure the ball of your foot fits comfortably in the shoe, as this is the widest part of your foot.
- Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle – Make sure your toes have enough room to move. This prevents the onset of problems like hammertoe.
Unfortunately, many people are totally unaware of their optimum shoe size because they haven’t had their feet measured up for years.
Click here to read more about why finding the perfect fit is key.
Styling the wider fitting shoe – not such a pain in the foot
Wearing wide fit shoes doesn’t mean that you have to compromise your style; fashion and wide fit go hand-in-hand, or foot-in-foot in this sense.
- The jean affair – Pair your favourite jeans with a pair of wide fit ankle boots to put a new spin on the casual approach.
- Party time! – Pop on a pair of wide fit heels to complement your new party dress or pair your swanky suit with a pair of wide fit loafers to make you stand out from the crowd.
- Weekend wonders – Take comfort to the next level with a pair of slip-on casual shoes, the perfect match with any attire.
- Feeling the cold? – Switch your summer sandals for a pair of wide fit knee high boots to keep you covered when the conditions get tough.
Which brands produce wide fit shoes?
Wide fit is not as rare as you expect! At Wynsors we have several brands that cater for the wider foot.
- Dr Keller
- Comfort Plus
- Business Class
With all the brands we stock, you will be spoilt for choice. You’ll also benefit from our famously low prices.